Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center

Hand touching a circle

If you or someone you know
is in immediate danger:

  • Dial 911 (emergency)
  • Call the University of Michigan Police Department at (734) 763-1131
  • For immediate confidential crisis intervention or support call SAPAC’s 24-hour Crisis Line at (734)936-3333

You May Report to the University, to Law Enforcement, to Both, or Neither.

We encourage you to report what you have experienced to law enforcement and to participate in the university’s internal review process, but you are not obliged to do so. Later in this guide, you will see more information about how to report to the university and/or to law enforcement, and about how the university will review reports it receives.

The resources, support and protective measures described in this resource guide are available to you even if you decide not to participate in university or law enforcement processes. In some cases, if you make an initial report but then decide not to participate further, the university may still need to review and investigate the information provided, and may also be obligated to share the report with law enforcement for possible handling through the criminal justice system. Even in such cases, though, you do not have to participate in the university or law enforcement processes if you do not wish to do so.